Thursday, June 18, 2009

Recovering from a video game relapse

Alas, I have been tempted by the Dark Side.

I swore off all video games (except public gatherings) when I began my amateur/professional writing career. Well, it seems my willpower is not so tough after all.

I have been staying at a friend's house for the past couple of weeks, due to the need to find a new day-job to support the family. Unfortunately for me, he owns a PS3 and an Xbox 360. I have been able to stay away from the Xbox, but the PS3 has it's tractor beam locked onto me and I just recently was able to shut it down and get back to work (thanks for the help Obi-Wan! Sorry you died though...)

So, I have managed to complete an abysmal 1600 words in 2 weeks. Not acceptable, but nothing to cry about. I'm going to up my daily quota to compensate (it's probably an unreachable number with family things to do, plus the big move, but I'm going to do everything in my power to hit it [for those of you that are curious, my new quota is 3k words a day])

After looking through my notes, I realized that I had planned 6 books for the Zormir series, but after looking at it I may be able to do it in as little as 3. No guarantees on either number, it will probably end up somewhere in between. I've noticed that I'm more of a discovery writer than I thought I once was, and more things may develop as I go, so we'll see. Hopefully I won't be Jordan-esque and end up with 14 books in this series, but I highly doubt it.

So right now I'm just plugging away at the manuscript. I'm not worried about chapters, or continuity, I just want to get the story down for now. I'm going to save all that stuff for the first edit. My alpha readers will probably get their first peek at this thing in around the 3rd or 4th draft, so those of you that are on my alpha list you still have a while to wait.

Thanks for paying attention to my tiny blog. Comments are much appreciated!

1 comment:

  1. Woah ., so im actually intrested in reading your books(no offence.,im usually the type that only reads authors with many published books and are very known)so anyways what im trying to say is that much to my suprise your blog is very intresting! oh and im not trying to be rude but again i usual get that from more "known" authors' blogs ! ...

    oh and im a writter too.., (lol atleast "I" think soo..)So maybe you could check out my story and tell me whachu think . oh and im new at this blog thing ! so dont expect much there

    k so i guess this is bye or atleast until i actually read one of your books !

    -Sam(a girl..ahah probably obvious but i did get alot of what seemed like comments ment for a guy on other blogs)

    ReplyDelete